Being an Architect & switching to Construction Project Management at first seems scary.
But then, after working for a year after graduation, I realised that there are certain aspects which I still need to learn which architecture did not cover.
So, I started exploring Construction Project Management. Then, I came across the curriculum taught by RICS SBE, what attracted me first it is a degree and its recognised world over.
Hence, I got myself enrolled at RICS SBE for Construction Project Management course. I have completed a year now at RICS SBE. I can honestly say that it has helped me broaden my skills and competencies which I did not even think of before.
The course gets me equipped with the following within a year timeline:
- Quantity surveying
- Construction Technologies
- Planning, Scheduling Construction Activities
- Softwares: CostX, Primavera P6, Ms Project (Yes, they teach software at your grasping speed)
And course equips with many other aspects too in the second year of the course.
Here assignments are real and practical based that will let you understand how to apply the knowledge you are gaining in the practical world as well as a gain deeper knowledge of it.
For example, we had an assignment like:
- Evaluating Valuation of 5 Star Hotel
- Designing a restaurant then quantity takes off, bar bending schedule & calculating cost from concept, design, construction, finish, contingencies, etc till final handover.
- Planning & Scheduling of Residential Project along-with using Softwares MS. Project, Primavera P6.
None of the assignment will seem boring or a waste of time. It will challenge you to do with more perfection to grasp the utmost knowledge.
Faculty is always ready to guide, help, motivate, encourage whenever you feel stuck, be it in assignments or the future goals without any biases. That is the best part of this RICS School of Built Environment. They encourage students to be confident and brings out the best in you.
My Favourite subjects were
1. Cost Planning & Management taught by Dr Prof. Sanjay Patil (Associate Dean & Director) & Prof. Renuka Ma’am.This subject seems tough & alien to an architect, but they initially teach basic aspects like calculating quantities keeping architects in mind. Later, the course proceeds with learning Cost X, RICS NRM, concepts like cash flow analysis, Earned Value Analysis, Value Engineering, and other aspects.
2. Principles of Asset Valuation taught by Prof. PhD. Deva Dubey, Prof. CA Viral
This subject teaches how to evaluate the valuation of a property by various methodologies.
3. Construction Project Planning & Scheduling taught by Prof. Srijeet Halder (School of Construction).
This subject covers all aspects related to planning & scheduling each construction activity. How it is done, what are its concepts, software used.
After Graduation Growth Aspects
They offer placement help which we all “Architects” struggle with, post architecture, to get a good job. Here you have a helping hand even for that. You will be well equipped with knowledge to start your own firm with all aspects not just designing but also executing the project you designed.
About RICS SBE:
RICS School of Built Environment (RICS SBE), Amity University is an industry led academic institution which delivers specialized undergraduate and postgraduate programs to students ambitious to work in real estate, construction and infrastructure sector. It also aids as a hub for research and development of technical proficiency in built environment.